The road to becoming married can be scary, difficulty, and very exciting all in one. Working through some very important life issues prior to making such a big commitment in one’s life can be very wise and result in the peace-of-mind that you are not only ready for the marriage journey, but that you’re on the road with the right person.
From the most conservative recent statistics, about 60% of all marriages that eventually end in divorce do so within the first ten. The statisticians rate second marriages as a consistently worse gamble. So why, despite such sobering data, do we so fiercely maintain that we will be the lucky ones who make it?
With a divorce rate in Orange County around 70%, working with a Licensed Couples Therapist in Orange County might be a wise investment prior to getting married. As a Couples Therapist working in a premarital context, some of the things I find important to talk about prior to marriage include:
- Finances – How will debt, budgets, expenses be handled and understood?
- Spiritual Issues – People of different faiths or Christian Counseling (I currently help teach the Relationship Foundations (pre-marital) course with Mariner’s Church in Irvine, CA)
- Communication Challenges – Getting on the same page with learning how to talk with each other
- Shard Values – Gaining clarity of individual & shared values
- Parenting – Challenges for newly-weds
- Family of Origin Work – understanding where your partner comes from
- Sexual Intimacy – getting your marriage off to the right start
Quentin Hafner, LMFT – Orange County Pre-Marital Counseling
Connect with Me on Social Media!